Maintaining Oral Hygiene with Invisalign: Tips for a Healthy Smile
Are you straightening your teeth with Invisalign? Congratulations! You’re close to having a lovely, confident smile. However, it’s important to remember that good oral hygiene is just as important with this orthodontic treatment as with traditional braces. In fact, getting Invisalign in Bay City may make proper hygiene even easier. Continue reading to understand more tips for keeping your teeth and aligners clean and healthy throughout the process and some of the mistakes to note.
Tips For Maintaining Oral Hygiene With Invisalign
When undergoing orthodontic treatment with Invisalign clear aligners, you must maintain good oral hygiene. Here are six pointers to help you keep your teeth clean while wearing Invisalign:
- Brushing: After each meal or snack, brush your teeth thoroughly. Brush your teeth with fluoride toothpaste and soft-bristled brushes. Brush your teeth on all surfaces, including the back teeth areas where attachments or buttons for Invisalign treatment have been placed. Don’t forget to brush your tongue to remove bacteria and freshen your breath.
- Flossing: you should floss your teeth at least once a day. Before flossing, take out your Invisalign aligners. Clean between your teeth and around any brackets or attachments with floss threaders or interdental brushes. This aids in removing plaque and food particles that can become trapped between your teeth.
- Cleaning the Aligners: To avoid bacteria buildup and odours, keep your Invisalign aligners clean. Rinse them with lukewarm water regularly. You could also use antibacterial soap or your dentist’s recommended Invisalign cleaning crystals. Toothpaste and coloured soaps should be avoided as they can stain the aligners.
- Foods and Drinks to Avoid: Certain foods and beverages can stain your aligners and teeth. Limit or avoid beverages such as coffee, tea, red wine, and coloured sodas. If you do take them, brush your teeth before re-applying the aligners.
- Regular dental examinations: Throughout your Invisalign treatment, continue to schedule and attend regular dental check-ups. Regular visits enable your dentist at 77414 to monitor your oral health, monitor the progress of your treatment, and address any concerns or issues that may arise.
- Aligner Care Kits: To keep your aligners clean and protected when not in use, consider using aligner care kits that include special cleaning solutions, brushes, and cases. These kits, which are available from your dentist near you, aid in the cleanliness and integrity of your aligners.
Common Mistakes To Avoid With Invisalign
When undergoing Invisalign treatment at Dr. Teeth Dental Care – Bay City, it is critical to be aware of common mistakes that may impede your progress or reduce the effectiveness of the aligners. Here are a few common mistakes to avoid:
- Failure to Wear Aligners for the Appropriate Time: The clear aligners should be worn for 20 to 22 hours daily. One of the common mistakes is failing to wear the Invisalign aligners for the recommended amount of time, which can prolong the treatment process and jeopardize the desired results. The aligners must be removed when eating, drinking (except water), brushing, and flossing.
- Inadequate Aligner Cleaning: It is critical to clean your aligners regularly to maintain oral hygiene and prevent bacteria buildup. Coloured soaps and toothpaste should be avoided because they can stain the aligners. Instead, use lukewarm water and clear antibacterial soap or the recommended Invisalign cleaning crystals to rinse them.
- Neglecting or Skipping Oral Hygiene: Skipping or neglecting oral hygiene while wearing Invisalign can result in dental problems. Brush your teeth every day and floss at least once a day. Poor oral hygiene may lead to bad breath, decay and gum disease.
- Not Properly Storing Aligners: When you remove your clear aligners, make sure to place them in their case. Leaving them out in the open or wrapped in a napkin can result in loss or damage. Always keep your case on hand to keep your aligners safe and secure.
- Skipping or Postponing Aligner Progression: Invisalign treatment involves a series of aligners that must be changed regularly. Delaying or skipping the transition to the next set of aligners can disrupt the treatment plan and cause progress to be delayed.
- Failure to Follow Dentist’s Instructions: It is critical to follow your dentist’s instructions throughout the treatment process.